Friday, March 1, 2019

Yes, There Were WMDs In Iraq

I remember reading about this a few years ago, but have forgotten where.  Thankfully, however, someone I follow on Twitter recently posted this, thus providing me with a source.

I remember how President Bush the Younger was accused of "lying" the U.S. into invading Iraq, because our troops could not find the WMDs which Bush claimed that Iraq had while Saddam Hussein was that country's president.  As it turned out, Iraq did have WMDs, but President Bush didn't seem to want to say anything about them.  I don't know why he held his tongue, but I'm pretty sure that if someone were to accuse me of lying, and I subsequently found evidence that I had told the truth, I would do everything I could to show that my accuser was wrong.  Anyway, the post on Twitter linked a report from Yahoo News, which was published on October 15, 2014.  These are the first two paragraphs:
American troops found nearly 5,000 abandoned chemical weapons in Iraq from 2004 to 2011, but their discoveries were kept secret by the U.S. government, the New York Times reports.
According to the 10,000-word, eight-part interactive report ("The Secret Casualties of Iraq's Abandoned  Chemical Weapons") by C.J. Chivers published on the paper's website late Tuesday, at least 17 American service members and seven Iraqi police officers were exposed to nerve or mustard agents in Iraq after 2003.
Yahoo News refers to The New York Times, which normally allows readers to access a limited amount of articles each month.  You can click on the Yahoo article at the above link, and then click on any of its links, depending on what else you want to read.

If someone were to say that a certain country had WMDs, and then about 5,000 chemical weapons were found in that country, I'd say that the person had told the truth.  I would also say that anyone who had accused the person of lying would then owe him an apology.  Such an apology, as far as I'm concerned, is owed to President George W. Bush, but I haven't been holding my breath all these years waiting for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment