Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Cool Springs Park

Besides Lonaconing, Maryland, another interesting place that I've run across while driving in the mountainous areas in western Maryland and beyond is Cool Springs Park, in Rowlesburg, West Virginia.  I first happened upon this place 12 years ago while driving eastward on U.S. Highway 50 on my way back from a wedding in Indiana.  Just after passing a gas station, I noticed a bunch of unusual-looking contraptions and old railroad cars in an adjacent wooded area, so I decided to have a look.  As it turned out, the gas station was part of a building that also included a convenience store, a gift shop and a restaurant.  The building and the wooded area with all its old stuff were and are parts of Cool Springs Park.  As I wandered around to get a good look at the old machinery and railcars, realized that I was being followed - by a friendly donkey.

As with Lonaconing, I knew that sooner or later, I had to return and get some pictures with my digital camera.  As I had first done years ago, I again wandered around the wooded area, but this time was not followed by any four-legged critters.  The park now has two donkeys and a South American camel, of which species I don't know, but they all left me alone.

This locomotive and its coal tender sit on a section of old railroad track.

A water wheel stands next to a small creek, with two (partially obscured) old vehicles and U.S. 50 in the background.

There was a row of old tractors, with or without their tires.  Again, U.S. 50 is in the background.

Two cabooses sit on another section of railroad track.  I did not try to climb up and see their interiors.

You can read more about Cool Springs Park at Roadside AmericaWBOY and Books, Bargains, Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment