Friday, May 8, 2015

WWII-Era Planes Fly To Commemorate V-E Day

Today marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe, known as V-E day.  To commemorate this event, 56 military airplanes from that era flew down the Potomac River and then over Washington, DC.  Some information about the flyover can be found at USA TodayWUSA and the Military Times.

I got to watch parts of the flyover from the Maryland side of the Potomac.  Here is a formation of three planes.

Through the leaves of a tree, I saw a plane that had a double fuselage.

This might be the largest single plane I got a decent photo of.  Strangely, the background sky faded to white.  The word on the bottom of the left wing is "ARMY", which would indicate that the plane belonged to the Army Air Corps (in which my father served just after the war).  At the time, there was no separate Air Force.

Two other four-engine planes flew up the Potomac.  This picture was somewhat out of focus, and unfortunately, several subsequent attempts turned out even worse.

I eventually made my way back to where I had parked my car.  On the way, I saw a family of local residents, who share (or will share) the airplanes' ability to fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment