Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Appomattox Court House - Part 2

After leaving the main area of Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, I drove out to some of its remote areas.  First, I stopped at a Confederate cemetery, where 19 rebel soldiers are buried.  The cemetery is not run by the park, but by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

I then drove westward on state highway 24 to the site of General Ulysses Grant's headquarters, but there was nothing in the area of note except this sign with some information on black Union troops who fought in Appomattox.  Even though the texted side faces north and is thus in shade, I still think that I got a shot in which the text is readable (if you click on the pic).

Driving back eastward for less than a mile from the site of Grant's headquarters, I found a parking lot with trails leading to two monuments.  The first of these is the Raine Monument, which marks the Raine family cemetery.  I took this shot from the south side of the monument, hoping to get most of it in sunlight, but it was in shade from a nearby tree.  Most of the trail, however, was in an open field, seen here behind the monument, and thus exposed to sunlight.

Each of these stone slabs marks a grave.

The other monument sharing the same parking lot with the Raine monument is the North Carolina monument.  The path to this monument leads through a wooded area, which shades both monument and visitor.  This is the north side of the monument.  Someone left what appears to be a Confederate battle flag on top of it.

I also took a pic of the south side, which lists numbers of Confederate troops being paroled (see Part 1) according to which brigade commander they served under.

Finally, I drove to the easternmost section of the park, where General Robert E. Lee had his headquarters.  As with Grant's headquarters, there's nothing left of it.  There's only this plaque marking its former location, which is reachable by a trail leading from the parking lot.

Thus concludes my exploration of the area where our country was reunited.  If I find anything else out here worth reporting about, you'll find out in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment